Energy

The paper and cellulose industry requires large amounts of thermal and electrical energy to operate, and therefore this is one of the highest production costs and is directly related to greenhouse gas emissions. CMPC views energy consumption as one of its main operational challenges and has taken charge by developing a series of concrete actions.

 

To ensure excellence in energy performance and given that the pulp mills are the largest consumers and generators of energy, in 2013 with the support of the Chilean Energy Efficiency Agency, CMPC implemented an Energy Management System (EMS), based on ISO 50,001 at Chile’s three pulp mills: Santa Fe, Laja and Pacifico. This system was certified in October of 2014 and was recertified in 2017. Thereby, a management tool was implemented which seeks the continuous improvement of energy efficiency and use of energy, among others.

Given the positive results in energy management obtained at Chile’s three pulp mills, since 2016 we have aimed to implement SGEn in all the main productive processes of each area of our business: This has allowed them to be more efficient and competitive on the market in which we participate, while also engaging in more sustainable activities and processes.

CMPC’s electricity consumption for 2017 reached a total of 4,671 GWh, which corresponds largely to the production required by the company’s pulp mills, which represent 65% of CMPC’s total electricity consumption. Between the Packaging and Tissue plants, energy consumption reached 1,631 GWh, corresponding to the remaining 35%.

CMPC’s consumption and generation of electric energy in 2017

Pulp Tissue Packaging Total CMPC
Chile Latin America Chile Latin America Chile Latin America
N° Turbines 9 5 1 1 1 0 17
Energy consumption (GWh) 2.036 1.004 226 758 640 8 4.671
Nominal capacity (MW) 434 248 22 22 53 0 779
Energy generation (GWh) 2.129 933 144 135 336 0 3.677
Energy generation (%) 58 25 4 4 9 0 100
Generation/Consumption (%) 105 93 64 18 53 0 79

 

In 2017, each of Chile’s pulp mills received the Gold Seal of Energy Efficiency from Chile’s Ministry of Energy and the Chilean Agency for Energy Efficiency, in recognition of their fine energy management in recent years. Furthermore, among all the businesses that received the Gold Seal, a project from the Pacific Mill received the award for the best energy efficiency project and a project at Santa Fe Mill was among the three finalists.