Sustainable forest management and certified management
As part of our public commitment to no deforestation or forest degradation, we have adhered to demanding sustainable forest management standards, through different global certification initiatives. This implies compliance with strict principles in direct forestry operations, also encouraging their compliance in indirect operations. In this way, we manage to obtain almost the total of raw material produced covered by this commitment.
The company goal is to maintain all certifications and, by 2030, increase the coverage to 100% of sustainable forest management and production and consumption of certified raw material.
- In Brazil and Chile, forest assets are certified in sustainable forest management. In Argentina, although we work under the same approach, we have an ISO 14001 Environmental Management certification. In 2021, forest certification process is underway.
- We participate in different external initiatives to promote the implementation of policies related to sustainable forest management, specifically with those in charge of formulating and advising policies on the matter; governments, certification schemes, union and community associations, NGOs, and also funding research. In all cases, the company promotes the importance of forest certifications and compliance with their requirements.
- As of 2006, in Chile, and in 2009 in Brazil, we carried out recovery work on native species in farming centers Carlos Douglas in Los Ángeles, Chile, and Barba Negra, Rio Grande Do Sul, Brazil.
- We are an active part of The Forests Dialogue, New Generation Plantations and Forest Solutions Group, the last two dependant on WWF and WBCSD, respectively.
- To ensure traceability and quality of the fiber, each Business has Chain of Custody and Controlled Timber certifications.
Forest assets, productive and conservation surface in ha
|Conservation, protection and/or restoration surface||321,529||325,995||*385,726|
*Note: Some administrative uses, bodies of water and others have been added to the conservation, protection and/or restoration surface
Forest assets certified in sustainable forest management in ha
|Certified forest assets||976,930||976,649||974,433|
|% of total certified assets||90.2%||90.3%||90.1%|
|Third parties forest assets||64.720||65.885||125,716|
|% of total certified third parties assets||100%||40.5%||61.1%|
Certified raw material, in m3
|Total raw material produced (CMPC + third parties)||20,217,000||20,838,000||21,089,000|
|% of raw material produced by CMPC, with respect to total||88.40%||84.50%||8.55%|
|Percentage of raw material produced by third parties, with respect to total||14.90%||18.10%||17.45%|
|Percentage of certified raw material with respect to total consumed||97.00%||96.40%||95.00%|